Finance Committee Healthcare Reform Bill

WASHINGTON, D.C. ––United States Senator Roland W. Burris today voiced his praise for the members of the Senate Finance Committee on the passage of their version of the health care reform bill. Senator Burris feels that this is an important step in making real, meaningful health care reform a reality for our nation. The plan cleared the committee this afternoon by a vote of 14-9.The Senate Finance Committee’s version of the health care reform legislation must now be merged with the bill that was passed in July by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, where Senator Burris is hopeful that the hybrid bill will include a public option.

“I would like to congratulate my colleagues on the Finance Committee for completing this important step in the process and moving real, meaningful healthcare reform one step closer to reality for tens of millions of American families,” said Senator Burris. “I am disappointed that this version of the bill does not include a public option, but am hopeful that as the Finance bill and the HELP Committee bill are merged, the resulting hybrid plan will offer a reform package with a public option. I firmly believe that including a public option is vital to spur real competition, reduce costs, and achieve the meaningful reform that all Americans deserve. In the coming weeks, as my colleagues and I take up this legislation on the Senate floor, I will work hard to make sure a public plan is included in the final bill. Let me be clear on this: I will not vote for any measure that does not include a public option.”